Learning Disability Awareness Week 18th – 26th June 2011
The focus for the week this year is on Disability Hate Crime.
Calderdale is one of the pilot sites for the national Safety Net project that focuses on ‘mate crime’ where someone with a learning disability is befriended then exploited by someone.
We will have a stall with information, awareness raising and positive images of people with a learning disability whilst also highlighting Disability Hate Crimes and what people can do to prevent them.
We will be giving out 10,000 bags of information to people throughout Calderdale during the week.
Come and find us:
- Saturday 18 June: Stall at the Gay Pride Event in the Piece Hall, 9am – 4pm
- Sunday 19 June: Car boot – Brighouse, 7am – 1pm
- Monday 20 June: Information stand at Elland Co-Op, 9am – 4pm
- Tuesday 21 June: Sowerby Bridge market, 9am – 4pm
- Wednesday 22 June: Hebden Bridge market, 9am – 4pm
- Thursday 23 June: Stall in the Piece Hall, 9am – 4pm
- Friday 24 June: Todmorden market, 9am – 4pm
- Saturday 25 June: Russell Street stall in Halifax, 9am – 4pm
Stop Hate & Mate Crime against people with learning disabilities
Support your community – join our march to make a difference!
We will be marching on Friday 24 June 2011 at 12.30pm
Meet at Barnstaple Rugby Club, Pottington Road
- 1.00pm March through Barnstaple town
- 2.00pm Rally in the Square (Speeches, music and remembrance)
- 3.00pm Finish
Route: we will start at Barnstaple Rugby Club then walk to Rolle Quay, cross over the bridge, cross the traffic lights outside Blockbuster and march through the High Street to meet on the Square. There will be music by the Honeytones.