The Department of Health seeks views on measures to carry out recommendations in ‘Freedom to Speak Up’ that will help staff feel safe to speak out on patient safety.
Recommendations in the review include:
- every NHS organisation having a “Freedom to Speak Up Guardian” who will report directly to the Chief Executive on their progress on reducing bullying and intimidation
- a new independent National Whistleblowing Guardian who will provide national leadership
- every NHS manager and leader to have training on how to raise concerns and how to treat people who raise concerns
- production of guidance for NHS organisations on how to handle whistleblowing cases
- devising and establishing a support scheme for staff who have blown the whistle
- considering evidence around whistleblowing and bullying as part of the ‘Fit and Proper Persons Test’ when appointing directors, senior managers or leadership
For more information and to download and respond to the consultation documents see here.