Driven by example and effective leadership
Part 1: Introduction to Active Support – Learning disability training (Theory)
All staff (from the Service) and Managers from the Service will attend a one day training programme which will give an overview of Active Support and some tools which can be used by the TEAM to support with consistency and therefore client engagement and positive outcomes. This session covers:
- The history of Active Support – The different models of support from ‘Hotel’ to Person-centred
- The values within Active Support
- Active Support and Person-centred Planning – turning plans into action
- Working as a structured TEAM – not a morning shift or an afternoon shift its the ‘TEAM around the person’
- Providing support that promotes participation and engagement
- Looking for opportunities to enable independence not dependence
- Overview of outcomes – achieving person-centred plans
Part 2: Support for Managers
Research continues to show that the quality of life for people being supported is highly dependable on the quality of staff and team support. Active Support is driven by example and effective leadership.
Interactive Active Support Training (Theory)
This is a one-day training session aimed at Service managers, and others with a supervisory role who will be supporting the TEAM to deliver Active Support. This session is essential for successful implementation and will help ensure managers can practice manage and offer continuing support to new and current staff members in delivering Active Support. (All attendees must have attended the one day Introduction to Active Support.) The training covers:
- Practice managing Active Support – what does that mean?
- Examining current practice – what do you see happening in the Service and not just to rely on what it says in the paperwork?
- Supporting the TEAM to work consistently – how can you do that if you are not supporting in the Service?
- Supervisory skills: developing both formal and informal skills through practical observation and feedback to the TEAM on a regular basis.
- Setting achievable goals from Person Centred Plans and monitoring outcomes – how do you know your TEAM are supporting to achieve these outcomes – how can you show your managers – how are you showing achievements and quality of life?
- Motivating your staff TEAM and individuals.
- Working beyond the paperwork.
- Where to go for further advice and support.
Please contact Lisa Lenton, ARC England Director, to discuss your requirements:
- Email: Lisa.Lenton@arcuk.org.uk
- Telephone: 0798 3839512